"Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty"
I love that saying, and I think the world would be a better place if we all tried to live with that as our motto. I do try to live my life with that as my goal, but I'm just not very good at it. I WANT to be, and when I think of something I can do for someone that is unexpected and is going to please them, it's awesome. But here's the rub: I just don't think like that! If you need someone to do something specific for you, I'm your gal. I will do anything in the world for most people if I know what it is they need done. But I just can't think of anything most of the time. I've known people who seem to always know the right thought, the right gesture, the right spontaneous thing to do for someone to just light up their day. I'm not talking about earth shattering kindness, I'm talking about simple little gifts of happiness, whether it's a material gift or a thoughtful phone call or a card at the right time. I want to be that person but I'm not and it frustrates the hell out of me. I'm not that spontaneous most of the time, and I'm not that creative.
So where did all of this come from, and where is it going? Matthew is going to be 1 Saturday and I want to do something really special for him. Not neccesarily for that day, but something special for him later in his life so that he'll know what a joy this year has been (although talking about Matthew + joy the last couple of days is a joke - what an attitude he's had!!!) and how much his mama and daddy love him and how excited we've been getting ready for this party. So he'll be able to know that even though he can't remember this party, it was something we did to celebrate him and his life and our overwhelming joy and gratitude at having him in our lives.
So what's my big idea? Haha. That's the problem, I don't have one!!!! I am so frustrated. The only thing I've come up with is writing him a letter every year on his birthday, which in itself is a nice idea, but it doesn't really have the wow factor I was looking for, you know? And what's really going to piss me off is I know that there are going to be half a dozen other mommies who think of amazing, sweet, fantastic things to do for their kids that I'm going to be really envious of, that I just can't think of.
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I love the letter idea, although he will probably never really appreciate it. I would say the best thing you can do is take lots of pictures and videos of his special day so he can look back on it someday.
he will appreciate the letters MUCH MUCH MUCH later, when he is grown. That is a FABULOUS idea.
I heard an idea somewhere of making a video of your child on each birthday so that they can see how much they grow and change from year to year...Of course, I didn't hear about that idea until after Daniel's first birthday, so I haven't personally done it, but sounds like a good idea. Hope that helps!!
The best idea is a photobook where they will bind in actual book form photos you have chosen-you can also choose blank pages to write in-so it can be a scrapbook of sorts!! I think this is what I'm doing for Griffin
photo books, the letter you chose, keeping a journal and writing in it randomly, keeping a "baby book" or a memento box are all good ideas. I've kept a journal for Kaia since I was pregnant with her and plan on keeping it for her and giving it to her when she gets older.
Post a Comment